ok Nous utilisons des cookies sur notre site pour vous permettre le meilleur service possible. Plus d'informations peuvent être trouvées ici.
Vous êtes ici:

Macy's at State Street

Voir toutes les 37 images Download as PDF Acheter des images

Identification

Macy's at State Street
Marshall Field & Company Store
117546

Plan

Structure générale

immeuble
construit [achevé]
acier
gris clair
école de Chicago

Usages

grand magasin
restaurant

Faits

  • A mosaic dome by the Tiffany studio tops a 5-story atrium in the southwest corner. The northwest section has a 13-story skylit atrium, and a newer atrium in the center is bridged by double escalator banks.
  • The building is essentially built on a six-part grid, with sections added to the original building in 1902, 1906, 1907, and 1914.
  • It was a named a National Historic Landmark in 1978.
  • The basement luggage department was formerly set up as a miniature of architect Helmut Jahn's tunnel at the United Terminal in O'Hare Airport.
  • Every year a three-story Christmas tree is installed in the famous Walnut Room dining area, with a viewing area on the 8th floor.
  • An underground public concourse connects the basement to 25 East Washington, which used to house the Marshall Field's Men's Store.
  • The venerable Marshall Field's name was retired in September 2006 when the store became "Macy's on State Street" as part of a consolidation of all nameplates owned by Cincinnati-based Federated Department Stores.
  • The building is a major hub of the Loop Pedway System, with connections to the east, west, and south. The pedway skirts the basement shopping area, and leads directly into the State/Washington subway station.
  • Actress Dorothy Lamour, who co-starred with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby in the Road movies, used to work as an elevator operator in this store.
  • This building plays a role in the novel The 42nd Parallel by John Dos Passos, as character Eric Egstrom gets a job in the interior decorating department.
  • The store has two fountains: one on the first floor in the central atrium, and one in the Narcissus Room on the 7th floor (used for private functions).
  • One of the first high-rise buidings demolished in Chicago – the Trude Building – was taken down in 1912 to clear the northeast corner of the store's site.
  • In the 1920s, novelists G.K. Chesterton and Sinclair Lewis met in the book department in this store, leading to their collaboration on the unpublished play "Mary Queen of Scotch".
  • The traditional symbols of the store are the green clocks which overhang the corners of Randolph and Washington on State Street.

Vous avez besoin d'informations supplémentaires sur ce bâtiment et les entreprises participantes?

Plus d'informations

Lieu

101-149 North State Street
2-48 East Washington Street, 100-148 North Wabash Avenue, 1-49 East Randolph Street
111 North State Street
60602
Loop
Downtown
Chicago
Illinois
États-Unis d'Amérique

Données techniques

151,41 ft
13
3
1901
1914
68

Entreprises participantes


Show now
Show now
Show now
Show now
Show now
Show now
Show now

Spécificités

  • L'immeuble est connu dans cette ville
  • Monument national
  • L'immeuble dispose d'un atrium
  • Horloge(s) à l'extérieur
  • Une fontaine est présente à l'intérieur du bâtiment
  • Entrée de métro à l'intérieur du bâtiment
  • L'immeuble dispose d'ascenseurs panoramiques
  • L'immeuble dispose d'un raccordement au pedway
Vous avez trouvé une erreur?
Related Buildings