ok Nous utilisons des cookies sur notre site pour vous permettre le meilleur service possible. Plus d'informations peuvent être trouvées ici.

The Rookery

Voir toutes les 22 images Download as PDF Acheter des images

Identification

The Rookery
185630

Plan

Structure générale

immeuble
construit [achevé]
acier
maçonnerie
fondations superficielles
brique
structure exposée
rouge foncé
néo-roman

Usages

bureaux
commerce(s)

Faits

  • The architects Burnham & Root moved their offices here for a while upon its completion, and Frank Lloyd Wright also set up an office here at one time.
  • The metal framework is a combination of cast iron (main columns), wrought iron (spandrel beams), and steel (internal columns).
  • The lobby was remodeled in 1905 by Frank Lloyd Wright, who simplified the ironwork and added planters and light fixtures in his characteristic style.
  • Before the Rookery name had stuck to this project, its developers proposed a long list of possible names, mostly of American Indian derivation.
  • The Rookery represents a transition between masonry and metal construction methods, with the outer walls supported mostly by masonry piers and the inner frame built of steel and iron.
  • Architect John Root devised the "grillage foundation" – iron rails and structural beams in a crisscross pattern and encased in concrete – to support the building's immense weight without heavy foundation stones.
  • Since the interior frame is built of steel and iron, the facade facing the light court has far more extensive window area than the more fortresslike street facades.
  • An atrium, originally an open light court, extends through the center of the building, down to the lobby skylight. On the west side of this court there is a famous semi-spiral staircase.
  • The building became an official city landmark in 1972.
  • Like the Fisher Building, the Rookery incorporates in its facade animal forms derived from the building's name – in this case pairs of rooks by the entrance archway.
  • The only metal framing on the perimeter walls is in the first two stories along the alleys. Above that the walls are pure masonry.
  • The exterior ornamentation draws from several styles, including Romanesque, Moorish, Islamic, and Venetian.
  • The light court was very influential in the design of office buildings in Chicago, including its use of glazed white brick for added brightness.
  • Since the perimeter walls are so much heavier than the interior frame, their foundations were built higher to account for greater settling.
  • The renovation architects were recognized with an Honor Award for Design from the American Institute of Architects in 1993.
  • Above the LaSalle Street and Adams Street entrances there are wide balconies at the 8th floor.
  • The "Rookery" name is inherited from the previous building on this site, an old city hall which was a favorite roosting spot of pigeons.
  • Completed in 1888, the Rookery is the oldest high-rise in Chicago that is still standing.
  • In the Frank Norris novel The Pit, financial speculator Curtis Jadwin's has his office in the Rookery.
  • Projected string courses around the facade divide the building into five distinct horizontal layers.

Vous avez besoin d'informations supplémentaires sur ce bâtiment et les entreprises participantes?

Plus d'informations

Lieu

209 South LaSalle Street
130 West Quincy Street, 135 West Adams Street
209 South LaSalle Street
60604
Loop
Downtown
Chicago
Illinois
États-Unis d'Amérique

Certificats

Certified as LEED – Gold (2014)

Données techniques

180,50 ft
180,50 ft
12
1885
1888
1905 - 1907
1989 - 1992

Entreprises participantes

Burnham and Root

Show now
Show now

1905 - 1907

Frank Lloyd Wright

1989 - 1992

McClier

Spécificités

  • L'immeuble est connu dans cette ville
  • Patrimoine local
  • L'immeuble dispose d'un atrium
  • Un portier est présent à l'entrée
Vous avez trouvé une erreur?
Related Buildings