ok Nous utilisons des cookies sur notre site pour vous permettre le meilleur service possible. Plus d'informations peuvent être trouvées ici.
Vous êtes ici:

Chichester Cathedral

Voir toutes les 4 images Download as PDF Acheter des images

Identification

Chichester Cathedral
the Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity
207948

Plan

Structure générale

église
construit [achevé]

Usages

église

Faits

  • Construction of the new cathedral at Chichester began in 1076 under Bishop Stigand and continued into the twelfth century, when in 1108 Bishop Ralph Luffa was able to dedicate the building to the Holy Trinity.
  • Fires in 1114 and 1187 damaged the building, but each time the cathedral was restored and extended, and in 1199 was re-dedicated. Re-building took place throughout the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, at which time the spire was added.
  • During the seventeenth century Reformation, the cathedral suffered extensive damage and, after centuries of neglect, was comprehensively restored in the 1840s. The spire collapsed in 1861, and a new spire was added by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.
  • The cathedral's detached bell tower is the only one of its kind remaining in England. Inside the cathedral is the Shrine of St. Richard, a bishop of the cathedral who was canonized by Pope Urban IV in 1262.

Vous avez besoin d'informations supplémentaires sur ce bâtiment et les entreprises participantes?

Plus d'informations

Lieu

West Street
PO19
Chichester
Angleterre
Royaume-Uni

Données techniques

276,90 ft
276,90 ft
1076
1108
1861
Vous avez trouvé une erreur?
Related Buildings